Thursday, November 13, 2014

Symbols in physiognomy: Stealing the Mares of Diomedes.

I've shared some examples of the representation of parental imagos that show up in physiognomy.

The lion at the phallic triangular, the boar or pig at the anal, the bull at the volar stage, and earlier in the volar stage I should add the horse. It feels a little coarse to say it but it has definitely been apparent in some patients who are altruists:





Additionally, in some, but I can't say all there is also the condition of having a gummy smile which, other than the long face, might be the other reference point.



I'm going to have to do another post on eyebrows that remind one of bats. Although, for the moment that means I lose the reference to ontology and the regression showcased through the Heracles myth.


I also need to add here that physiognomy doesn't fully cover the parent imago. I've mentioned before that after the proto-phallic encounter of Perseus with the Medusa that Pegasus and Chrysaor spring from her severed head. The horse, especially with its mane, also appears as a phallic symbol and shows up with the centaur and Heracles' death as well as with Ixion.



No comments:

Post a Comment