Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Another Love- reflections on volar deutero pathology; questions about naming.




The first of the verses are set up to offer something but then to take it away 


I wanna take you somewhere so you know I care
But it's so cold and I don't know where
I pick you daffodils in a pretty string
But they won't flower like they did last spring

And I wanna kiss you, make you feel alright
I'm just so tired to share my nights
I wanna cry and I wanna love
But all my tears have been used up

On another love, another love
All my tears have been used up
On another love, another love
All my tears have been used up
On another love, another love
All my tears have been used up

The second set of verses references the hand which I've connected as the relevant part object of the volar (narcissistic) stage. If the subject egoist and object altruist sharing of symbols holds, then I'd like to make a couple conjectures. The giving impulse of the object altruist to cause delight is experiencing ambivalence. Is this because of a fixation of aggression there or is the ambivalence an expression of the egoistic side in a dynamic relation to the altruistic side?  
  
And if somebody hurts you, I wanna fight
But my hands been broken, one too many times

The broken hand that is still giving may reference something else... What if the conversion of anxiety into jouissance at the deutero stages means that instead of fearing castration anxiety here the individual is inviting it? To give in order to take away would no doubt invite a punitive response from some individuals. The beating fantasy in masochism has been sometimes represented as having a narcissistic basis: it concerns the beating of the body and not something to do with the image ego or social punishment; it doesn't seem to have any consequences and therefore isn't in reference to time (cartoon violence is a good example). 

It is also possible that the broken hand signifies full superego defusion, but as far as I understand the concept in melancholia or paranoia the drive function ceases... The melancholic, for example, no longer goes after love but is caught up in her self-reviling and depression. So the giving (drive) to only take away doesn't seem to be defusion.


So I'll use my voice, I'll be so fucking rude
Words they always win, but I know I'll lose

The loss of the fight implies a beating. His words win, so the loss means not that they have stronger words but that their hands aren't broken. 


And I'd sing a song, that'd be just ours
But I sang 'em all to another heart

Later object drives of wanting to protect the object may function (i.e. the phallic altruistic drive of wanting to defend the love object) but things will ultimately return to the volar lack of connection. 


The heart and the voice are definitely feminine (OE and SA) anal objects but I haven't placed them yet. Persephone eating the pomegranate likely puts the heart at the anal deutero. However this also raised the question of identifying the stages volar, anal, phallic, by the masculine part object if there are feminine ones that are different...   

And I wanna cry I wanna learn to love
But all my tears have been used up
On another love, another love
All my tears have been used up
On another love, another love
All my tears have been used up
On another love, another love
All my tears have been used up
I wanna sing a song, that'd be just ours
But I sang 'em all to another heart
And I wanna cry, I wanna fall in love
But all my tears have been used up
On another love, another love
All my tears have been used up
On another love, another love
All my tears have been used up
On another love, another love
All my tears have been used up

No comments:

Post a Comment