Wednesday, May 4, 2016

OE and the deutero relationship

This blog has suffered a lot because I've been spending most of my time writing the dissertation/book.

I've made a few posts here based upon my research there, but I'm pretty sure that I will stop blogging in the near future and just focus on future writing exclusively.

I really have my doubts that a casual reader can get much out of this blog, without having read my book or laboriously searching through old posts. I haven't made it too user-friendly or linked to the big posts that might even offer an explanation of what the acronyms might mean. I apologize for that, but, then again, this venture has mostly been for me to think out loud. My friendships have suffered a lot in the last decade and rather than having people with whom to "talk philosophy," I've tried to force myself to write more and get better habits that way. I've amassed quotations, read myths, and drawn up a decent supply of articles and books to carve out a position of my own. The problem is that, going forward, a lot of these thinking out loud posts, will probably detract from my published work. Plus, the secret hope that some interesting people might find my blog and contact me, is probably never going to yield more than it has.

Anyway, with the attention given to subject egoism and altruism, I thought I'd share a small though on object egoism.

The deutero position in object egoism, like subject altruism, will often have a mentor-protégé relationship. In a rivalry with a former mentor who wanted to guide one, and give one advice and help the OE set up her beautiful life, the OE might feel that the mentor has "fooled others". She feels that the mentor puts up a public image and the public has bought it and doesn't see the person for what they really are, and when the former mentor is able to use this to their advantage against the OE, you have the double attack on both the mentor and the community who believes them. In the object drives, the former mentor/rival can seduce the OE's boyfriend or husband away to the same effect.

Again, this is the deutero position, and this position is visible in the repetition of the close mentor protégé relation to the phallic mother that is transcribed to the father imago (in a girl's object drives, but not necessarily in her ego drives). Most OE patients I've worked with have mentors that are women, but it appears that one of the ways of dealing with ego injuries is through the difference between the sexes. Some OE patients will not have female friends and only male friends/admirers. They might have a male mentor in the social sphere, but more often have something like that relationship in their love relationship (and this is often through PI so that they are the mentor and he is the protégé).


No comments:

Post a Comment