Wednesday, December 9, 2015

symbols, symbols, symbols

I haven't looked at myths for a while now. I've recently returned to find a few parallels.

I pointed out long ago that Oedipus and Bellerophon both shared the lion as a symbol as well as self-blinding or being blinded.

I also pointed out that Heracles has his wife stolen by a centaur and that this leads to his death which is accomplished by fire. On the object altruist side, Ixion tries to ravish Zeus's wife who turns out to be a cloud fashioned into Hera's image by Zeus. From the cloud comes the race of centaurs. He ends by being stuck to a wheel and being spun around.

At the phallic deutero the SE and OA share the horse, but both go on to have their symbols of castration in fire and spinning, respectively. I've encountered both of these symbols in both dreams but also in associative work in which the patient can affirm them as a feeling in self-statements.

On the feminine side, I've recently encountered hair as a symbol of the parental imago (like the Lion is for the masculine). The golden fleece in Jason seems to culminate there, but I'll have to look further into Antigone and Electra to see if the parallel is found there. I also think about Game of Thrones, V for Vendetta, and other cultural objects where having one's hair cut or cutting it oneself appear as symbolic of big moments of shame or rebirth.

In the myth of Perseus the winged shoes or flying is important, as it is with the harpies (before the Fleece) in the myth of Jason. In The Piano (1993) I first had my attention drawn to wings as a symbol. The movie Maleficent also features them, along with their castration. The subject altruist has them in the representation of angels, while the object egoist has them in representations that have a little more pride or narcissism.

Additionally, I've pointed to the polyphallic as a feminine symbol after seeing that Heracles labors seem to represent repression of the feminine in him.

I hope to find the corresponding symbols to feminine phallic deutero castration.

Additionally, the horse is the parental imago, which means that I need the symbol for the phallus there. Conversely, I need the symbol of the parental imago for the phallic deutero in the feminine. The serpent in both Perseus and Jason seems to be the likely candidate.

Anyway, more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment