Friday, December 4, 2015

paternal foreclosure Death vs. Sacrifice

In working in substance abuse, the deep object of Death was one of the first things I was impressed by. I've given the examples before of the altruistic person who loves and wants to help the addict, while the addict again might almost die from an overdose, will disappear, will ruin his or her reputation again.

For some time I've taken this as the "borderline" version, or the version in which the paternal function is gone.

I've recently had a patient who clued me into something I should have seen earlier. When the paternal function exists (i.e. power is transcribed to the father imago) then the Death object changes to one in which the parental-substitute sacrifices themselves for one and doesn't just die or disappear...

No comments:

Post a Comment